PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glasgow Airport - JET 2 smoke in cockpit - emergency services called
Old 20th Oct 2012, 10:27
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
"We were accelerating very, very hard down the runway at this stage and I was about to scream out to the cabin crew when obviously the pilot realised there was something wrong and he immediately throttled the engines back and put the brakes on. It's the hardest braking I've ever experienced in my life.
"There was a stunned silence when we stopped, everyone was in shock. The captain called the cabin crew into the cockpit and a few minutes later yelled 'evacuate, evacuate'.

It was only afterwards that people began to shake and realise exactly what had happened."

Mr Divers said the crew were "brilliant" and the captain should be praised for running up and down the cabin to ensure everyone was off the plane before him.
Natalie Crawford, from Cumbernauld, North Lanarkshire, said it was a "scary experience", adding: "Just as the plane was about to lift off, there was a strong smell of smoke and the cabin instantly filled up.

What made it worse was the lights were out because it was an early morning flight. Myself and my family were going for a long weekend to Benidorm for my dad's 50th. Although we're all ok it has been a scary experience."
The incident happened at around 7.40am and the runway was closed until 10am, causing serious disruption to flights to and from the airport.

flights were cancelled, including two inbound flights from London City and Gatwick airports, 14 departures were delayed and six arrivals were diverted to Edinburgh, Manchester, Prestwick and Aberdeen airports.

police spokesman said passengers on the Boeing 737-800 had been evacuated as a precaution.

A statement from Jet2 said: "This morning's flight LS177 from Glasgow Airport to Alicante made an emergency stop on the runway just prior to take-off. The aircraft was forced to curtail take off due to smoke in the cabin."
A passenger plane has made a safe emergency landing at Dublin Airport after crew detected smoke in the cockpit.

This idiotic theory of dimming the cabin lights for take off and landing in order to permit night visual adaption is nothing but a dangerous myth perpetuated over decades. It ignores the fact that night adaption is ruined with overhead reading lights on in the passenger cabin.

Even the flight deck crew have no night adaption since the landing lights and airport lights put paid to that. With the cabin lights on dim, and seat backs erect, if is often difficult for passengers to see over the heads of passengers in front of them to spot how many rows to the nearest exit and the overhead emergency lights are too dim,especially those wearing glasses..

It would make far more sense to have the cabin lights set in the bright setting for take off and landing so that passengers can see better in the cabin if an emergency evolves at night.

Plus a useful little hint for female passengers to avoid friction burns when going down a slide. Stick the emergency instruction card located in your seat pocket, underneath your apparel particularly if it is synthetic material. It prevents friction burns.