PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Union skirmish now personal
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2012, 01:48
priapism

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After their last EBA NSW paramedics left the HSU in droves to join a newly formed national professional association founded and run by operational paramedics. No political affiliations are tolerated and no member contributions are donated to political parties. They are sufficiently financial enough to employ had picked a very good team of industrial lawyers, with great experience and knowledge of how FWA works, to represent their members in both individual and collective problems. I have joined the same organisation in Victoria after a disgraceful outcome in our EBA when the ALP was in power. A question was raised at a union meeting as to just how much the union was contributing to the ALP, who , at the time were screwing us to the wall. The question was not answered - danced around by the executive - mentioned an obligation to the parent union the LMHU. When it was investigated, the union's financial statement revealed nothing other than fees to the parent union. I then investigated the parent union's financial statements to find over $300,000 dollars over 2 years paid to " The ALP, Trades Hall and it's Affiliates".
In Victoria , we are currently in the early stages of out EBA and the professional organisation I am now a member of is representing a significant amount of us, and very well. Although the outcome is a collective vote , they will ensure the most honest outcome under the present law. Under current FWA law union membership is not a pre requisite for representation in industrial matters.
Think of what you are paying in union fees . Think of how many of you there are. Think about getting organised. Register yourself with FWA. Use dedicated and enthusiastic members to do the groundwork like membership, treasury etc. I did it for 12 months. It was a labour of love .The funds soon build up. I know that , if I am in the poo, and need help, I would rather a qualified and experienced industrial lawyer in my corner than a politically motivated union rep. Just saying there are alternatives.

Last edited by priapism; 20th Oct 2012 at 02:00.