PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Union skirmish now personal
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2012, 00:37
AEROMEDIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems to be forgotten that it is not compulsory to join a union and so therefore no obligation to pay fees to anybody.

There is a very significant number of employees in the aircraft industry that not only do not contribute to funds required by a union body to represent them, but go running to the local rep when wanting information or if in trouble with the employer.

All employees go to the union meetings, have their say, ask Jtheir questions, put their five cents worth in whether they are members or not. The non members have the benefit of being represented by the union in negotiations with the employer without paying.

In the past these negotiations have provided improved rates of pay for improved work output, etc. and currently, the redundancy clauses in today's work climate.

The union spends these fees on infrastructure and their legal staff providing better outcomes in return for ther members.Without the union at all, employees would be on their own, fending for themselves and being asked to sign AWA's for far fewer benefits and less pay.

I don' t think that I have ever seen a non member get a higher rate of pay or better deal than a member of the same classification.

Joyce would have ALL pilots and engineers on far less salary if he could get away with it and a non member today would be walking around with a target on his back.

There are good reasons why a company has to reduce costs, and sometimes bad ones, but unions are the only ones able to stand up and take action collectively when companies actions are just plain wrong. A non member needs to cashed up if he/she wants to go to court over an issue concerning themselves.

I've never seen a non member going to court for the benefit of his/her workmates.

Unions inept? outdated?

Some people like Craig Thompson may be, but if you don't want a union, you don't have to be a member and ride for free on the fees the members pay, but expect to represent yourself if YOU get into trouble.

I'm fortunate that today, I don't work for an employer and am well off, but I have the association/union to thank over the years to enable me to accumulate enough from good salary to start, operate, expand and finally sell my own business (for a good return).

Last edited by AEROMEDIC; 20th Oct 2012 at 00:44.