PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heikkis' Silhouette Challenge
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2012, 23:13
SincoTC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good afternoon Karl,

This one seems to be a bit of a hybrid (maybe a prototype?), well at least I can't find any photos that match all of the variations from the norm and I wonder if it's an oddball or another license built variant you found while trying to sort out the Tricap the other day??

Basically, it looks like a Caproni Ca.101, but this one has three-blade props instead of the usual two, a very distinctive rudder servo-tab and different side windows.

I have found one head on photo with three-blade props, it's fitted with 240 hp Walter Castor engines, these are more powerful than the usual engines, so maybe needed the extra blade to absorb the power and possibly the rudder required a little help from the servo-tab to cope with asymmetric power. This tab is evident on the twin engine Ca.102, (that had more powerful engines with four-blade props, so this fits in with my theory ). However, the only thing apart from the props that shows in this photo is that it has unspatted wheels, which doesn't match, and I'm beginning to wonder if your photo hasn't been retouched 'coz the rear fuselage looks a little too sleek, lacking that ugly hump of the usual 101's and I've not come across windows that match yours either.

Edit: G'day Graeme, You posted while I was typing and I'm glad to see you haven't found it in one of your books, maybe it isn't even Italian

Last edited by SincoTC; 19th Oct 2012 at 23:18.