PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR22 Chute Pull - (Post landing Video) Birmingham Alabama 6th Oct 2012
Old 19th Oct 2012, 20:15
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pace, that's per 100 thousand hours not million.
My Typo error! That still is very low so would still like the GA SEP figures overall per 100,000 compared to the Cirrus figures per 100,000 hours.

007 thinking about the engine failure scenario 1000 feet agl should be the chute decision height!
The problem with a forced landing is having elected to force land its likely to be much lower before the pilot realizes its all going pear shaped ie probably in the last few hundred feet.
From that I can understand your SOP for chute use in an engine failure! as that decision needs to be made early!
Having said that I am pretty sure fatalities in a controlled forced landing where flight is maintained are very very low!
Fatalities occur where glides are stretched and the aircraft stalls.
Stalling an aircraft is totally in the hands of the pilot and an education thing! far better to have a controlled crash in a flying aircraft than a stall spin.
Bring in a headwind and a forced landing becomes a better and better option than a chute pull where the pilot has little or no control over the descent and landing spot or his horizontal speed.
An engine failure over inhospitable terrain or built up areas where a forced landing would be inadvisable would be a no brainer in using the chute but that descision needs to be made at 1000 feet agl and stuck too!

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 19th Oct 2012 at 20:22.