PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gapan - Pilot Aptitude Assessment
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2002, 13:46
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vans,. .I agree that the GAPAN aptitude test isn't, and can never be, definitive. An experienced QFI's judgement is also a very useful pointer. But I would counsel against the 'enough hard work and you'll get there' approach, as talent has a very large part to play - as I'm sure those who instructed your F/A 18 mate would agree!. .While it is certainly possible to get an ATPL by throwing enough time, work and money at it, that won't make you someone the airlines would want to employ. Now, and for probably the next 5 years, it's a buyers' market, and those who struggle through the ATPLs may well find themselves sucking the hind tit when it comes to jobs.. .If you were an employer, who would you employ? The talented individual who passed everything first go (and impressed in the interview and sim check), or the guy who took three attempts at everything? Determination is an important quality but, without talent, it's not worth much - in aviation, at least.. .When the airlines are screaming for pilots, it may be a different matter, of course...!