PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What "unrestrited " mean on medical class 1
Old 19th Oct 2012, 12:04
Phororhacos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I doubt the OP's doctor needs a medical. I suspect there is a translation issue here. My experience is limited to the UK, so this may not help.

VDL, VNL and VML on your medical are indeed limitations on your medical certificate.

I have never heard of a UK airline considering these practical limitations to employment.

In the UK the usual ones are

VDL - Shall wear corrective lenses and carry a spare set of spectacles;

This is used for defective unaided distance vision. Basically this means you must wear your glasses or contact lenses at all stages of flight and have a spare pair of spectacles easily available.

and

VNL - Shall have available corrective lenses for near vision and carry a spare set of spectacles;

This is used for defective unaided near vision. Basically this means you have 2 pairs of "reading glasses" to read small print, and, possibly, difficult to read instruments. You can take these off when you don't need them.

Othe authorities use VML which means bifocal or varifocal glasses but the UK only tends to use VDL to cover this one too. VDL rules apply.

Hope this helps.

Out of interest, which, if any of the VNL, VDL, VML is applied, or is it completely different?

Last edited by Phororhacos; 19th Oct 2012 at 12:06.