PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot's Assistant in 2012
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2012, 23:33
Bearcat F8F

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PA's do exist and fly for some companies like capital avaition as clipboard pilots on air amb flights , they have no repsonsibilities whatsoever other than to land the aircraft in the event the capt cannot . They are fully OPC'd and LPC'd but do not fly the aircraft at all with the exception of empty sectors .
The aviation industry is full of "our skills are better than yours " type folk , bollocks ! glider pilts have skills , powered pilots have skills they are all different but all will assist in overall airmanship but The phrase " Stick and rudder" is overused and is mostly out of context. You can be the greatest glider pilot in the world with all the stick and rudder ability there is , but sit one in the right seat of a PA31 and fail an engine and see what happens . Its all relative to the flying you do , but it is all experience and any experience is good experience . Go find an aspect of flying you enjoy and do just that . relish the fact you can do it . I have been gliding many times but for the thrill of a winch launch which is an awesome event the rest of it is by the by to me but thats my thing ,
Enjoy what you fly no matter what it is
Interesting that they do exist then. Never heard of such a position. However given that the "pilot assistant" has to land the plane in case the Captain decides to bail out, I assume that the pilot assistant must also be a qualified pilot? Which basically means that he's just a pilot that doesn't log hours?

With regards to your comment on gliding, there are things there that I agree with, and some which I respectfully disagree with. One thing is for sure though - the more diverse experience you gain, the better. That will never be in dispute

Last edited by Bearcat F8F; 18th Oct 2012 at 23:34.