PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR22 Chute Pull - (Post landing Video) Birmingham Alabama 6th Oct 2012
Old 18th Oct 2012, 15:00
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You made a statement that you would use the chute as a SOP for all cases of engine failure! You may be right you maybe wrong!
I have heard this attitude from other quarters so you are not alone but on what basis do you come to that conclusion? Is it through some study or released data?
You mention above a microlight pilot deploying his chute at 400 feet. Great it worked on a microlight. Do the same on a Cirrus and you will freefall and kill yourself with at best a partially deployed chute.
Most engine failures occur just after take off when the engine is most stressed and a cirrus pilot conditioned to pull the chute might kill himself.
How do you work out a safe altitude to pull the chute as it will vary on a number of aircraft conditions.
I brought up a possible problem of an engine failure flying in strong winds 30 to 50 kts typical of winter winds I have flown singles in.
An into wind landing will mean a very slow groundspeed in a single and a far better option than pulling the chute and not only being a victim to a high descent rate under the chute but high horizontal speed! You only have to look at the 25kt (30mph) car impact damage to see the results.
You also have to consider not only your own life but those below you! One day some child or children will be killed under a descending Cirrus! Okay if the aircraft is unflyable you have no choice but to descend into a heavily built up area but to take the chute in a flyable aircraft over a built up area is very questionable.
We have a duty to those below too!
That is why a say to you that direction is needed and that can only come from considered knowledge and not some home made plan of action.
The possible consequences need discussion.
I also ask you to look at the fatalities in Cirrus! You mention engine failure and forced landings! How many are killed in forced landings where the pilot maintains flying speed?
From the stats I remember very few!
Ok pilots stall in but there is no excuse to do so only bad piloting and training.
What is a safe height for chute deployment? Is it 1000 feet or higher as I am pretty sure that will vary.
Please do not take this as a dig at you as you have brought up a valid discussion topic and as I said you maybe right to deploy on engine failure or you maybe wrong?
None of us know and we need to!
Why do you think Cirrus are happy to detail procedures for a forced landing and recommend a forced landing with a caveat of maybe consider the chute if a forced landing is not advisable!
Because a forced landing is a normal procedure in your training syllabus authorized by the CAA the chute is a relatively unknown factor authorized by no one!
With the forced landing Cirrus can pass the buck with the chute they cannot (Yet)

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 18th Oct 2012 at 16:07.