PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR22 Chute Pull - (Post landing Video) Birmingham Alabama 6th Oct 2012
Old 18th Oct 2012, 10:41
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pace

You do seem to have become overly fixated on the chute.

Most accidents are caused because the pilot hasn't thought things through, was not current, was poorly trained or a combination of all three.

If you consider your earlier comments the accident was caused because the pilot was incapable of flying a simple instrument approach - period. That failure had nothing to do with the chute. OK we can debate whether he would have attempted the approach without the chute but I suspect we would end up disagreeing. The accident reports are littered with pilots who attempt approaches no different from this and came to grief and did not have chutes. I just find it difficult to conceive in the vast majority of cases anyone would go into a situation because of the chute. Most Cirrus pilots are owners, insurance aside they probably have a lot of pride in their aircraft, and they really dont want to end up in the mud somewhere with an involved insurance claim on their hands. I think this pilot thought he could handle the approach - period. He didn't expect a missed and when it was called as happens time and time again it went badly wrong. In an article in Flyer this month they say flying a missed approach is one of the most difficult things a pilot does and one of the most common causes of grief. Your currency and experience makes a missed a non event but have you forgotten for some that is the last thing it is?

No I really believe that in the vast majority of the incidents we have seen the pilot was just as capable of getting himself into the situation with or without the chute and would have done so not because he had a chute but because of poor planning, poor training, a lack of currency and possibly because of a relatively higher performance aircraft that could take him to the incident a bit quicker that his brain could keep up with. If that were not true why would we see exactly the same accidents occurring with the same frequency across the GA fleet? As always there will be exceptions to the rule and there will always be the one that takes on a trip knowing the risks are high and only because he believes he has the get out of jail card. Strangely I am guilty. I think three times about flying a single at night these days but maybe only once if it had a chute.