PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR22 Chute Pull - (Post landing Video) Birmingham Alabama 6th Oct 2012
Old 18th Oct 2012, 10:19
Sillert,V.I.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pace
The answer is that pilots fly within their own and the aircraft limits!
This has been true since the dawn of aviation, but failure to comply with this remains the underlying cause of a great many accidents and incidents.

Is the answer better training, or designing aircraft with greater 'abuse-resistance"?

How much capability should we build into the aircraft to mitigate the risk? If we give pilots safer aircraft, will they fly them more recklessly? If the manufacturers see fit to provide a BRS, then why not also fit the autopilot with an emergency "Land Me" button?

My own view is that more attention needs to be given in basic training to the dangers of "pushing the boundaries". This IMO needs instructors with real experience & cannot properly be taught by airline wannabees whose own handling skills probably wouldn't be sufficient to safely allow students to experience just how out of control it's possible to get & still recover.

I was extremely fortunate in having several instructors with 20,000 hrs+ and any attempt at my saying "You have control" if I got out of my depth would be met with folded arms and the comment "you got into this, now you fly out of it". Many of those early lessons were taken on days when the rest of the school was grounded by the weather & in consequence when the day came to venture forth on my own I was better prepared for real-world conditions. It didn't stop me making the same damn fool mistakes, but it did ensure that they were survivable.

Last edited by Sillert,V.I.; 18th Oct 2012 at 10:26.