PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lycoming piston pin plug failure
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2012, 09:32
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forgive me if I'm barking up the wrong tree, but a fully-floating Gudgeon (wrist) -pin strikes me as a primitive bodge-job allowing poor manufacturing tolerances to be accomodated.
No apparent reason comes to mind , why circlips in the piston / press-fit in the piston / floating in piston with clamping at small-end eye could not have been adopted.

The simplest, most elegant, proven and cheapest is the circlip.
Strikes me that It gets rid of the extra reciprocating mass as well....hollow pin can still be a press-fit in pistin, thus ensuring the wear takes place where it should (small-end bearing)......Oh.but wait! the sale of pistons/rings/cylinders would reduce dramatically and the parts-market don't want to lose a captive cash-cow, do they?

Not really surprising thatRotax has made such huge inroads on the GA scene in the last few years, whilst the Lyconsaurus dinosaurs rest on their laurels and take the whizz,

Seen it all before with the British motorcycle industry, followed by the british car industry......we now make better Jap-cars than the Japs , so it's not just poor workmanship,- Management has to show the way and start respecting the fact that ultimately it's the CUSTOMER that pays their wages.

Ahh, feel better for that little rant.