PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 18th Oct 2012, 08:50
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The vibe rules.

Hansard for the estimates tells a happy, though slightly twisted story. The 'peppering' Mrdak got was, of it's self 'interesting'. Several Senators hinted that perhaps the whole truth, and nothing but the truth had not been told regarding several, important, expensive matters the Minister is, ultimately responsible for. Barnaby Joyce kicks it off question 1, page 1.

I have no doubt that Mike Mrdak is, of himself, an honest, honourable, intelligent and fair minded man; but he has an invidious job at the moment given the political climate. But that is of politics. He is, without a doubt a clever, educated, consummate public servant and, to his credit, sticks to doing a tough job, very well.

But, is he compromised? I think the estimates committee let him know the answer to that. All in Hansard, have a read (160 odd pages). Is the trade off - for him not to become 'involved' in the inquiry starting on the 22nd (Monday)? Why?, because of the above. Will he let them swing? course he will.

My favourite bit was when 'he who must not be named' swaggered in, without his usual mates, looking for and expecting a dustup. Never happened, up front; but when Senator Fawcett says "Boo" (moving offices all settled in comfy like?) the adrenalin surges, he drops his duds and gives away revenue gouged from FOI travelling time; just like that. Bollocks. Simply mis timed the answer, primed as he was.

Point is, dropping the $2.66 per hour travelling time is chicken feed; by decimating the ATO body, the only way an aspirant PPL, CPL or rating holder can get a renewal (test) without a long wait is now through CASA, at $750 a pop. The average pilot working in the industry may earn $750 for a day and half of blood, sweat and tears (I know, for some a lot less). The average "Wannabes" will simply shake their heads and either walk away or wait.

Sweetie (Mummy's busy); It costs more to make this work than it can possibly generate in 'affordable' revenue, let alone support the cost of it. All Bollocks.

But hey, what the hell; stick around for the inquiry. Bloody sure I will.

Last edited by Kharon; 18th Oct 2012 at 09:28. Reason: A bloody comma, go figure. Can't spell Bollocks either.