PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RTO Question
Thread: RTO Question
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2012, 05:14
Spitoon

seven, I'm really not interested in us and them point-scorring. Anyone with a professional approach to their work will recognise that ATC can make errors, just as vehicle drivers can and, believe it or not, so can pilots.

After a few years in this business everyone can come up with a bar-room tale that actually happened to them. I'll raise your fuel truck with a 767 that rolled without a clearance while I had cleared a vehicle to cross the upwind end of the runway. If it's of any interest I decided not to try and stop the aircraft because I considered the situation and judged that it would not make it any safer to do so. But even so if you ask me, it's a pretty dumb thing to take off without a clearance.

I'm never going to suggest that ATC is always correct and it is true that sometimes cancellation of take off clearances has been done for poor and unjustifiable reasons. But I'll make a point that I have raised in response to your comments before - ATC often has a bigger picture of what's going on than each pilot. It's not a good or bad thing, just a simple fact - what they do with that information is at issue.

Nor am I ever going to suggest that the commander of an aircraft doesn't have the ultimate and absolute responsibility for the operation of his/her aircraft. But that doesn't mean that he/she is always right or always has all of the information that might be available to help decisions to be made. Making each flight end safely relies on teamwork....and the team is not just the people on the aircraft. Having had a little involvement in some airline CRM training, it was fascinating to see the range of attitudes that could be found on the flightdeck - and the one's that frightened me most were the pilots who thought that they were infallible and weren't looking for their own errors (although everyone else's was fair game). Just as the controllers with a similar outlook scare me.