PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice for pilots with families
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2012, 01:42
Jamair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It depends how much you want the career. You really have a couple of main options - go flying for a living, or do something more profitable and fly for recreation. As soon as you say that moving (or anything else) is 'not an option', then you are effectively ruling yourself out of the chance to progress.

You could be one of the fortunate ones who really enjoy teaching others to fly, and simply stay doing that. You could jag a good flying gig where you are, and stay in it. I know a couple of people who have literally fallen into a basic job and stayed there, with the employer deciding to keep upping the ante aircraft-wise so that while they started chasing cows on a basic SE piston Day VFR 172 etc they have ended up in the same company but now poling a corporate jet or ME turbine.

Despite a lifetime in GA, I started the 'fly for a living' path pretty late in life; I was late 30's, married with kids in a capital city on a good income and a pretty cruisey job, but I yearned to fly for a living.

Did CPL, moved to a regional town, kept the other job going while I started down the well-trodden GA pathway of casual SE CHTR and crap (but award) rates. After a few years, and several town moves I had progressed to ME CHTR, then a ME turbine, then a full-time ME CHTR gig, then regional airline flying, before finally scoring my lifetime goal career. All the experience gained in doing the bottom-rung stuff in the bush has helped me get to where I am now.

15 years, more house / school moves than I want to think about , long-suffering spouse & kids (including enforced separations for months at a time), but we stuck together through the turbulence and are now enjoying the rewards.

How bad do you want it and is the family going to support you? Good luck however you decide.

Last edited by Jamair; 18th Oct 2012 at 01:48.