PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thames Airport for London
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2012, 00:24
Airlift21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I originally put this over in the Gatwick thread, but I think it's probably equally/more relevant here.

From yesterday's (17th 0ct) London Evening Standard editorial re: Gatwick expansion,

"Indeed, a new hub in the east is looking increasingly attractive as a long term solution. The Mayor's favourite Thames Estuary option would create fewer problems for densely populated areas than expansion at Heathrow, for instance. It would also meet the gradual shifting of gravity in the capital eastwards, something that the completion of Crossrail will expedite."

Err?

Sounds very similar to the case set out by a certain PPRuNer!

Maybe all the people moving east can swap places with the bird populations in the estuary?

Now, this isn't my opinion by any stretch, as I'm fully aware of the business case for 1 or 2 extra runways at Heathrow & maybe a 2nd at Gatwick in addition to that, but I reckon the government will actually only ever look at two options: Silver/Boris Island or Stanstead (That's for you Silver!)

Some politicians, also Boris mentioned it, still seem to be fixated on the idea that Stansted is well placed for future expansion. If ever there was a white elephant, it's over in Essex!

Last edited by Airlift21; 18th Oct 2012 at 00:36.