PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RVR for Landing
Thread: RVR for Landing
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2012, 22:20
dirk85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RVR for Landing

Hi everyone,

I recently had a little bit of a discussion with a fellow aviator about the application of JAR OPS 1.405 in a CAT I operation.

In particular I refer to the following part:

The touch-down zone RVR is always controlling. If reported and relevant, the mid point and stop end RVR are also controlling. The minimum RVR value for the mid-point is 125 m or the RVR required for the touch-down zone if less, and 75 m for the stop-end. For aeroplanes equipped with a roll-out guidance or control system, the minimum RVR value for the mid-point is 75 m.

Note. “Relevant”, in this context, means that part of the runway used during the high speed phase of the landing down to a speed of approximately 60 knots.
Scenario 1. The RWY is 9000 ft. Assuming that I fly a plane with a relevant landing distance of 3500 ft, and multiple RVR values of 550/125/75, am I legal to continue beyond OM?

Opinion 1. No, in this case, since also the mid point is relevant and controlling, must match at least 550 m. The third part is not relevant in this case but must be at least 75 m, which we have.

Opinion 2. Yes, only the touchdown RVR is controlling, as long as the mp and rollout points are at least 125 and 75 you are good to land.

The matter is about "If reported and relevant, the mid point and stop end RVR are also controlling".

Scenario 2. The RWY is 9000 ft. Assuming that I fly a plane with a relevant landing distance of 2500 ft, and multiple RVR values of 550/100/75, am I legal to continue beyond OM?

Opinion 1. No, you need 550 in the first part, and you have it, but you also need 125 m in the second part, even though that is not relevant.

Opinion 2. Yes, the relevant part for you is only the touchdown RVR, you can ignore the 125/75 minima in this case.

Please, share your thoughts!

Last edited by dirk85; 17th Oct 2012 at 22:22.