PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RTO Question
Thread: RTO Question
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2012, 20:25
Spitoon

Andy, the information that you quote did come from the ATSIN but there was substantially more guidance and advice in the original ATSIN. From what I recall it included good and useful information about how large aircraft are operated and the typical flight deck SOPs about which many controllers may not be familiar these days.

I'm not sure exactly what point you are trying to make hoss. Cancelling a take off clearance when an aircraft is well into the take off roll is a big deal for a controller and not something that is usually done without very good reason. If it becomes necessary we are entering uncharted territory where normal procedures are not going to cover every eventuality and the pilots and controllers will have to make decisions based on professional judgement - this is where everyone earns their respective money! Almost by definition, if this situation occurs it is because someone has made an error - it doesn't really matter who or why at that moment, what matters is doing anything and everything possible to achieve a safe outcome. Whilst I don't know the detail of the BOS incident, if what you say is true (and I'm not suggesting that it isn't) then the FO took a decision/action which resulted in a safe outcome. Another day it might be a CPT or controller's actions that avoid a catastrophic outcome. Each abnormal situation is different.