PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR22 Chute Pull - (Post landing Video) Birmingham Alabama 6th Oct 2012
Old 17th Oct 2012, 20:09
007helicopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could as easily argue that if you'd pulled the 'chute at 1000 feet, it would deploy correctly & you'd survive, but that by choosing to continue, you could be killed by the hazards you couldn't have seen until it was too late to deploy the 'chute.

I'm now thinking along the lines of setting a decision height after engine failure, at which point you look at what you can see, & either commit to continue to a landing, or pull the handle.
Sillert I think you should have a pre determined policy clearly in mind what ever is correct for you but I still think one of the big problems is what looks good and tempting and doable at 1000ft is a different picture at lets say 300ft when the chute is no longer viable.

Why not just reduce the risk (not eliminate it) and pull the chute in an off airport landing?

You said somewhere else you would consider this bad airmanship, which I accept is a common thought, however in a hypothetical scenario if you were transporting my children and needed to do an off airport landing in an emergency I would prefer you pull the chute.