PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR22 Chute Pull - (Post landing Video) Birmingham Alabama 6th Oct 2012
Old 17th Oct 2012, 13:56
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do agree with your point re most guys thinking they are better than they actually are and it may well be human nature that this attitude hardens the longer we do something successfully.

It has nothing at all to do with being better than you actually are but what is likely to be a succesful outcome and that is far from clear!!!
The pilot who wears a parchute and irretrievably looses control or breaks the aircraft has no choice but to abandon ship.
This is very different and many here including Fuji are failing to acknowledge the huge difference.
That is abandoning a perfectly flyable aircraft in preference to the chute both actions carry risk!
Say in your example that you are gliding down for a forced landing at 300 feet you decide there are unseen hazards on the landing strip you have selected.
You pull the chute and fall the 300 feet with the chute not fully deployed! You kill yourself while a collision under control you would have survived.
I am frankly amazed at the blind faith in the chute to save all situations and blind reluctance to discuss without feeling affronted.
Fuji I am amazed that Cirrus will detail and recommend the uncerainty of a forced landing but drop detailing the chute as if they have red hot coals in their hands.

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 17th Oct 2012 at 13:59.