PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 17th Oct 2012, 10:26
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In regards to the Senate Estimates yesterday maybe here lies the truth of the lack of Senatorial engagement, also shows Senator Fawcett has not forgotten that Mr Mrdak owes the Senator an answer (see post #464):
Senator FAWCETT: Chair, given the inquiry on Monday I do not actually have a huge number of questions, except to follow up something with Mr Mrdak. Last time we spoke about closing the loop between ATSB recommendations and CASA following through with regulation as a consequential change within a certain time frame. The view was expressed that it was not necessarily a departmental role to have that closed loop system. I challenged that at the time. I just welcome any comment you may have three or four months down the track as to whether there has been any further thought within your department as to how we make sure we have a closed loop system for recommendations that come out of the ATSB.

Mr Mrdak: It is something we are doing further work on in response to your concerns. We recognise that we do need to ensure the integrity of the investigatory response and then the regulatory response. So it is something we are looking at closely. I and the other chief executives in the portfolio will do some further work on that area.

Senator FAWCETT: Do you have a time frame on when you might be able to report back to the committee?

Mr Mrdak: Not as yet. I will come back to you on notice with some more detail.

Senator FAWCETT: If I could invite you to come back to the chair perhaps with a date for a briefing to the committee, outside of the estimates process, as to how you might implement that.

Mr Mrdak: Yes.

Senator FAWCETT: Because the work by ATSB is almost nugatory if you do not have a closed loop system that makes sure it is implemented in a timely manner.

Mr Mrdak: We will come back to you on that.

CHAIR: There are no further questions. I will take this up with the committee—there is an inquiry. It is always my fear that we have a rush of senators who want to ask questions and we drag you in here and keep you sitting here all day and there are no questions. I apologise to you Mr Dolan.

Mr Dolan: There will be further inquiries on Monday?
"ATSB is almost nugatory" Kind of sums up the bureau quite nicely really!