PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buying an Aircraft "Howto"
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2012, 15:29
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fattony

At your stage of flying going for something too complex will just give you performance that you can't use and expence you don't need.

I would recomend one of the fixed gear, fixed pitch prop touring aircraft with about 160-180 hp.

The types I would recommend would be Cessna 172, Piper PA28 or Robin DR400 these three types are well proven, will give you the chance to tour with three passengers and have a usable two & half hours endurance (with reserves). The Cessna and Piper are not exciting to fly and have only average short field performance and basically the DR400-160 will match the performance of the 180hp offerings from America.

I know that there will be others on this forum offering advice to buy more exotic types that will offer better performance, but the three aircraft named above are unlikely to spring any nasty and expensive surprises while giving you enough performance to build your experience.

On a personal note I got into a DR400 group when I had 75 hours in my log book,13,000 hours on I still have a DR400-180 and still enjoy flying it but my PA28 is just a business tool.