PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blade Tape Issues
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2012, 11:08
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used to be amazing how much one could cut out of the tape if you got a small bubble or lifting of it and keep operating, just make sure about the same amount came out of the other blade. MEK was certainly the go to clean them.

I would suggest that a ridge or bubble on instillation was due to incorrect fitting, keen attention to detail was required. If you had spare it was better to start again, as long as the boss wasn't watching- not cheap that stuff!

Talk of temperature reminds me of operating in the hot climes in central OZ, at or above 50 degrees C the glue just would not hold and the tape would lift badly and dangerously quickly. Then of course the blade had to be thoroughly cleaned off of gum as anything going against you in that heat and D/A would make a hard life much harder. I don't remember if use of the tape had a temp restriction but if not I would suggest nothing above 45 degrees C.

I remember also seeing some tape the Israeli Army? -Air force? had developed and used, bloody heavy stuff- looked more like a deicing boot off a fixed wing. I don't recall being told what they put it on.