PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2012, 08:00
Pittsextra

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Haha - it is 1982. I found the picture on a website of a friend of mine from a previous career. You can scroll to the relevant part on this site:-

DoubleDeClutch.com | The Right Stuff, The Wrong Way

Its actually a picture of the helicopter from the Osterreichring. An extract from the site says:-

"In addition to the (Lotus) Elite the JPS-liveried Jet Ranger helicopter was also deployed for the weekend, being used by Colin Chapman to commute from the rather more salubrious hostelry where he and Hazel were staying. Naturally he wanted to land as close as possible to the paddock and was using a small grassed spectator area(!) at the end of the pits as helipad. Mike the pilot and I used to go and shoo the punters away when he was coming in. On race morning Mike and I duly went and taped-off the area and the ‘chopper landed, with the Old Man at the controls, Hazel alongside and Peter Dyke from Players, together with his wife, in the back."

Edit to add:- The guy who runs that site is a professional photographer called John Brooks. Super nice guy and he has been around forever - get in touch I'm sure that he may have other shots..

Last edited by Pittsextra; 16th Oct 2012 at 08:01.