PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cumbria Helicopter crash discussion
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2012, 16:31
Pittsextra

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Hang on, I can't speak for the other people who post on here but here is some context and my "beef".

This thread has been around for 18 months and it wasn't until around a year after the shunt that the "official" version of events was reported.

Ironically - as is the case with very many accidents reported on pprune - the initial feelings are pretty much bourne out by these official reports. Yet in the first instances people who hold very valid views tend to get shouted down.

It is surely better to encourage a debate than stifle it and come on lets not play with semantics there were no records, there was no rating and whilst aircraft didn't actually fail, as far as can be told, with the maintenance record as it was its not an aircraft i'd want to sign for.

That is deeply uncool.

Giving an "out" is suggesting that there is a margin and there isn't. Some people have tried to talk about some wild spirit and courage to fly like that etc etc etc. It takes no courage to be the biggest fool, it just takes foolishness.

"A superior pilot uses his superior judgment to avoid situations that would require the use of his superior skills"

Its pure cheese but kind of fits, thing is people suggest there should be some respect shown to this guy but what respect was he showing his peers with his record keeping, maintenance and attitude to flying even before he had his prang. Nevermind that what respect did he have for his family that he has sadly left behind?

Honestly it is staggering and flying like this does none of us any favours.

Edited to add:- actually you know when the record keeping etc is so poor one wonders why bother having a licence at all? I mean if its all such a rotten chore and everyone knows less than you - why not just have a go? Forget night rating and IR... forget a PPL just throw some cash at a salesman and see how it goes? Does that work any better for people that think its ok to be casual??

No?? OK so where do you draw the line?

Last edited by Pittsextra; 15th Oct 2012 at 16:37. Reason: punctuation and added....