PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND - 3 The new beginning
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2012, 15:13
davidjohnson6

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Ernest - perhaps I should clarify what I wrote earlier today...

Southend's expectation for OLT is:
Flights from Dresden from 15 Oct to 03 Nov, a short period around Xmas, and then from 23 March onwards
Flights from Saarbrucken from 20 Oct to 03 Nov and again from 23 March onwards

Southend do not want to publicise an airline which does not have an English language website. At a first enquiry from a member of the public, Southend will give a non-committal "We are in talks with OLT but expect it highly likely that flights will take place". If you push the right person at Southend hard enough, they will admit that OLT flights are expected to take place.

Southend's biggest concern is that they publicise flights in the UK English-language press on an airline without an English language website, someone who can't speak German tries to make a booking and makes a complete screw-up, and then said idiot complains to the Daily Mail about how terrible Southend airport are for making that person lose lots of money on their credit card.

And yes, Southend admit they would rather not have to play this silly game, preferring instead to give a single consistent straight answer on the matter, without having to worry about the different interests of their airline customer and the Daily Mail.

I have a booking with OLT from Southend later this month, in less than 2 weeks time. At school I learnt to speak some German, so can cope with a German-language website. I have not heard anything by phone or email from either Southend or OLT to say the flight will be delayed or cancelled. If OLT cancel my flight, I shall not be happy and will make a complaint under EU261, requesting refund + compensation.

Looking at the Dresden arrival/departure board, my best guess is that either loads between Dresden and Southend+Vienna were very low and/or that a F100 went tech and a Saab was used as a replacement

Edit - Just noticed that OLT seem to have pulled their Dresden-Southend-Dresden flights from sale for Tues 16th, Wed 17th and Tues 30th October.
As a (not very nice) thought - there's a flight from Southend to Dresden still on sale for Thurs 18th October for 49 euros - anyone fancy buying a seat, in the hope that it's cancelled and then claiming a refund + 250 euros compensation ? You'll have to spend the time chasing OLT through a complaints process though...

Last edited by davidjohnson6; 15th Oct 2012 at 16:38.