PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR22 Chute Pull - (Post landing Video) Birmingham Alabama 6th Oct 2012
Old 15th Oct 2012, 13:20
007helicopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another thing occured to me in this discussion is why more high end manufactuer's do not adopt BRS, I note Cessna now do on certain models and I wonder if that is only a "me to" marketing exercise to try and counteract Cirrus.

Looking at the last 12-18 months fatal's on TBM's for example there seems to be a big problem, you would assume a TBM driver is a pretty advanced pilot, had type training, has an IR, has a turbine reliable engine, FIKI etc etc, yet the 3 or 4 fatal's in the last months appear from memory Pilot Error and my thinking is a Chute could have likely saved them.

For a TBM owner buying a new aircraft the cost and weight implications would be Pea Nuts compared to the total ownership cost, just a thought.......

What is the minimum deployment height for the chute?
A&C Here is the official stand from the POH, I know the general thinking from COPA is that +1000ft it is pretty much guaranteed to inflate fully and stabalise, 500-1000ft it is worth a punt depending on what is straight ahead of you, some believe worth a go at below 500ft, my personal choice on take off that anything above 500ft the CAPS is active.

Deployment Altitude
No minimum altitude for deployment has been set. This is because the
actual altitude loss during a particular deployment depends upon the
airplane’s airspeed, altitude and attitude at deployment as well as
other environmental factors. In all cases, however, the chances of a
successful deployment increase with altitude. As a guideline, the
demonstrated altitude loss from entry into a one-turn spin until under a
stabilized parachute is 920 feet. Altitude loss from level flight
deployments has been demonstrated at less than 400 feet. With these
numbers in mind it might be useful to keep 2,000 feet AGL in mind as a
cut-off decision altitude. Above 2,000 feet, there would normally be
time to systematically assess and address the aircraft emergency.
Below 2,000 feet, the decision to activate the CAPS has to come
almost immediately in order to maximize the possibility of successful
deployment. At any altitude, once the CAPS is determined to be the
only alternative available for saving the aircraft occupants, deploy the
system without delay.
Deployment Attitude
The CAPS has been tested in all flap configurations at speeds ranging
from Vso to Va. Most CAPS testing was accomplished from a level
attitude. Deployment from a spin was also tested. From these tests it
was found that as long as the parachute was introduced to the free air
by the rocket, it would successfully recover the aircraft into its level
descent attitude under parachute. However, it can be assumed that to
minimize the chances of parachute entanglement and reduce aircraft
oscillations under the parachute, the CAPS should be activated from a
wings-level, upright attitude if at all possible.

Fuji I think you have a very balanced view, just to clarify in my own mind are you an instructor?

One point I would make re the L2K scenario or other beech landings, I have been on that Beech and the sand seemed soft, I assume tide out it is a real firm base?

But I do not know that for a fact so would still pull the chute given 1000ft and immediate and sudden engine failure.

I have never seen a plane land on anything other than firm hard sand, how would a Cirrus or other aircraft react on soft powdery sand?

Also I have seen an estuary that look nice and smooth but are in fact sludge or mud which could be a disaster, again I do not know if that exists around L2K when the tide is out.

I am again assuming as I genuinely do not know maybe a chance of digging in and kart Wheeling if the surface is soft?

I do agree with your point re most guys thinking they are better than they actually are and it may well be human nature that this attitude hardens the longer we do something successfully.