PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR22 Chute Pull - (Post landing Video) Birmingham Alabama 6th Oct 2012
Old 15th Oct 2012, 04:55
007helicopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still remember practising forced landings with my first instructor & was in awe of his ability to slip the aircraft down to within inches of the ground & then with pinpoint accuracy halt the descent, add just enough power to fly in ground effect to warm the engine & then climb away. A few weeks later, faced with a real engine failure whilst flying solo, that same instructor was killed after hitting power wires on the final approach (see G-BKDZ).
BTW No offense taken from anybody and it is a very useful debate, the last few posts for me serve well to demonstrate the polar opinions which are most hard to change.

The quote above sums up in the real world how dangerous for all forced landings are, maybe on average 80% work, not great odds to me.

It also reminded me of earlier this year I decided to do some PFL's from 2000ft above Rochester airport and dead stick landings, it was fairly calm, I was fresh, I knew it was coming etc. The first one I may have made across the fence but was dangerously short, so aborted at 300ft, the second two were spot on greaser landings.

It only served to convince me more that for me, the chute is right option, I am just not good enough to ensure the right landing spot, reasonable surface, no obstructions etc when the heat is on, I may be tried, I will certainly be highly stressed and adrenalin will be pumping.

I have no desire to fly all the way to the scene of the accident.

I also think trying to change Cirrus / CAA / FAA advice on this will likely never happen, it is just for me an informed personal choice based on my view of the world.