PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR22 Chute Pull - (Post landing Video) Birmingham Alabama 6th Oct 2012
Old 14th Oct 2012, 23:53
Sillert,V.I.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pace
...I am not convinced of its use other than for a true unflyable emergency...
I am not convinced either & the idea of voluntarily relinquishing control of a flyable aircraft does not sit comfortably with me.

At the same time I am mindful that the statistics for off-airport landings following engine failure in a SEP are not comforting. From memory I believe about 30% of such incidents as are reported result in injury or worse to the aircraft occupants (though that may be skewed as some successful off-airport landings may not be reported).

I still remember practising forced landings with my first instructor & was in awe of his ability to slip the aircraft down to within inches of the ground & then with pinpoint accuracy halt the descent, add just enough power to fly in ground effect to warm the engine & then climb away. A few weeks later, faced with a real engine failure whilst flying solo, that same instructor was killed after hitting power wires on the final approach (see G-BKDZ).

No matter how skilled the pilot, there is an element of unavoidable risk in off-airport landings which may be greater than we'd like to think and, in spite of my natural disinclination to knowingly surrender control of a flyable aircraft, pulling the 'chute may statistically offer a better chance of survival following engine failure, even for the highly experienced. This can't just be dismissed & is worthy of serious debate.

However, this thread started after a 'chute pull in a perfectly functioning aircraft because the pilot lacked the skill and/or confidence to continue to fly it. This IMO is also worth exploring further & to me highlights the mismatch between current PPL/IR training (this pilot held a current IR AIUI) & the capabilities of a TAA such as the Cirrus.