PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Man-machine interface and anomalies
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2012, 23:21
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Not only is it clear that they did pay attention to exactly what you say they didn't, but they also rejected the first sidestick design after flight test (not sim, flight) and sent it back to the engineers not for a bit of tweaking but for radical design changes."

IF789.... If you read my opening, I specifically say they did addresss the pilot to pilot interface, and rejected it, as an engineering decision...

"I am reasonably convinced that the lack of Pilot/Pilot interface engineered into the Airbus cockpit was not arrogance , nor ignorance."

I also believe they rejected interconnectivity due to overconfidence in the flight test crew's ability to intuit commands from the other seat. Perhaps due to the implementation of test pilots with highly developed intuitive skillset in assessment of the p/p interface....should they have used more mediocre and perhaps more independent pilots?

You say....

"... Interconnection. Yes. Really. They had interconnection and they scrapped it after test flying it. Apparently it was great in theory but didn't work when you actually tried flying it (even with test pilots). Interesting, no ?"

Can you explain? Connected controls aren't theoretical but merely a form of direct interface, sans intuition. They aren't 'flown', they are a direct cue, a blend of visual and potentially tactile cues, eg "follow me through".....

Last edited by Lyman; 14th Oct 2012 at 23:38.