PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR22 Chute Pull - (Post landing Video) Birmingham Alabama 6th Oct 2012
Old 14th Oct 2012, 22:42
Big Pistons Forever

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
I tell all my students that when the engine fails the insurance company just bought the plane. Under pretty much every circumstance IMO, the only advantage of doing a conventional forced approach in a Cirrus is there will be a possibility that the airplane will not be damaged. If the chute is used the airplane will definitely be damaged and possibly written off but at a much higher probability of no or low injuries. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

I find even the 30kt wind example unpersuasive as yes if you were to touch down exactly into the wind you would in the best case scenario have a forward speed of around 35kts, But you have to first make it to a piece of flat ground. It is very easy to screw up a forced approach in such high winds with a resultant touch down short of the desired point and probably involving hitting something hard at flying speed and still in the air. Those are the killer accidents.