PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ahhhh Austerrrrrrrrrr (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2003, 21:01
Stampe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Austers bit of an acquired taste but you get to like em in the end.They still represent tremendous value.Memories are:-
1)Age 15 in 1968 spending all my spare cash on my first holiday on my own camping in the IOW for a quick joyride from Bembridge in an Auster G-AJ__ with a chinese pilot love to know the reggie any of you experts know??.
2)A J1 derelict at Headcorn for years G-AHAM I think and wishing I could afford to own it.
3)A flight with the late Bob Biggs(great guy killed shortly after flying a WW1 replica) in G-AGYK from Rochester my first go at flying one and thinking what a strange aeroplane compared to the exquisite and sensitive handling of the condors I,d just learnt on.
4)Flying the Aiglet trainer G-AMTA and wondering how it could be considered aerobatic !!that Ranald Porteous who legend has it put up wonderful aerobatic displays at Farnborough must have been an extremely talented and energetic pilot.
5)Finally for two seasons in my spare time flying G-ARUY for Roger Chaplins and Kevin Mace,s Gullwing Aviation joyriding out of Headcorn in the mid nineties.This operation was the last of an Auster on a Public transport AOC operation.Had to pass performance category U exams based on the Avro York to put it on my professional licence.With just 10 gallons of fuel and individually weighed pax could just make it a 4seater.No way to make money and a bit boring doing large circuits!.Still Headcorns inevitable crosswind and cabbage patch runway could make for an interesting days flying!! And this was considered to be a highly desirable auster one of the last manufactured with wide chord ailerons and wing tanks(oh luxury).
Not my favourite breed of aeroplane, a real period classic very character forming,a really cheap way to lift a good load have a great view and get in and out of short strips!!