PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR22 Chute Pull - (Post landing Video) Birmingham Alabama 6th Oct 2012
Old 14th Oct 2012, 20:27
007helicopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When we have one pilot here who claims to have done the COPA course and states he will pull the chute for every single engine failure regardless ??? That for me is worrying!
Pace we are likely never going to agree on this which is fine but as previously stated my decision has been arrived at over a period of years and I am sticking with it.

Commercial Air Taxi companies in the USA have adopted the same principal for their SOP so there must be some mileage in it but everyone is free to do what they want.

The sad thing is there are to many deaths where the Pilot could have saved their lives and that of PAX if they had pulled the chute and not attempted an off airport landing.

One valid point you have raised is the outcome of CAPS in high winds and this is an area which I need to consider more, not only in terms of lateral speed impacting a solid object on the ground but I believe in very high winds (not sure of the number) the aircraft could be dragged along the ground by the chute, I need to consider this more.

I also find it worrying that the manufacturer treats the whole chute decision going into absolute detail on advice for a forced landing but when it comes to the chute all they can say is that the pilot may CONSIDER the use of the chute if a forced landing is not advisable. wow!!
Pace that is simply not true, the POH has a section on CAPS (from memory section 10) with much more detail, I am not justifying what Cirrus do or don't say in there POH just pointing out I think your statement is totally misleading.