PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beta Range
Thread: Beta Range
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2012, 19:04
Hueyman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is in contradiction to what the PC-6 pilot I had the chance to ask told me..

If some french people see this, I post the original message :

Sur le plan de l'emploi de la Beta, je l'obtiens donc au sol au roulage en plaçant la manette des gaz en butée (bruit trè s caractéristique), et en vol, également en la plaçant sur Idle. Une fois que j'ai obtenu ce frein hélice, la vitesse hélice a tendance à tomber vers 60% Np. Je peux toutefois réaugmenter le nombre de tours hélice en réavançant cette même commande, pour sortir de la plage de vibrations. Je peux rester en Beta jusqu'à environ 85% de Np. Bien sûr plus j'augmente la vitesse hélice, Np, plus l'avion est bruyant, mais j'augmente aussi l'efficacité de mon frein hélice.

Now I'll try to translate it as best as I can :

About the operating of the Bêta, I obtain it on the ground by retarding Power Lever against Idle Stop ( very characteristic sound ), and in flight also by retarding that lever to Idle. When I obtained that " prop brake ", prop speed tend to slow down to 60% Np. I can increase that prop speed by increasing the Prop Lever, to get out from vibration/buffeting range. I can stay in Bêta until it reaches around 85% Np. Obviously, the faster my prop, the louder the plane... but my prop brake effect is also more efficient.

This is what is happening in the PC-6 B2H2 aircraft, surely not comparable to how it's used on a King Air, or Twin Otter, or any other planes. If needed , I'll eventually start a dedicated thread for the Beta Range ON the PC-6 plane, I'm sure many Drop Zone pilots are roaming around..