PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kiwis have chips on both flaps
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2003, 19:53
TIMMEEEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI300 old boy, you may very well have a dig at us on the 'West Island' (very droll!) but lets face a few facts here.

Australia has had a steady stream of New Zealanders emigrating to Oz for years (a handful the other way) and until recently something like 29,000 were on the dole in Oz as opposed to 189 Australians doing the same in NZ.

The average Australian likes New Zealanders but as soon as they come here and start mouthing off about the beer, weather, how good the kiwis are at sport etc then the average Australian thinks to himself 'Why not just go home if you dont like it?'

The fact of the matter CI300 is that you're not doing your fellow countrymen any favours by knocking Australia or its citizens.
You appear to have a chip on your shoulders because you cast blame without justification and without firm facts.

Australia is not responsible for one of your former top celebrated businessmen (Sir Selwyn Cushing) leading the charge to buy an airline in Australia and effectively leaving some 45,000 Australians (direct or indirectly) unemployed after its collapse.

We were not responsible for Sir Ron Brierley holding out for more money from the Singaporeans to sell his bad investment in Air NZ untill it became almost worthless and watered down in the govt buyout.

Air NZ was technically bankrupt as a result of that consequence and saved only by the intervention of the NZ govt.
I suppose the big bad Australians were responsible?
Look at the facts CI300 and you tell me?

Your countrymen CI300 went into that investment eyes wide open after owning a 50% share for some years and without having carried out a competent due diligence (as quoted by a NZ report govt report) and almost bankrupted a NZ institution as well!
Now where would Air NZ be if the government didnt come to your rescue?
Im waiting for an answer CI300 - answer that succinctly.

You blaming Australians CI300 makes you look both stupid and petty.

Australia has provided some wonderful opportunities for New Zealanders (Sam Neill,Russell 'knock 'em out' Crowe to name but a few) and numerous others who have come to Oz, prospered and then taken their success elsewhere.

I dont hear 20,000,000 Australians complaining about the beer and isnt it funny when I go to Auckland to visit good friends they always have Australian beers in the fridge (or chully bun as you call it).
Its their first choice as well as mine.

Finally to quote the most famous kiwi of late on acceptance of his academy award,

"God bless America, God defend New Zealand and Thank Christ for Australia!"

The ball's in your court CI300.

Last edited by TIMMEEEE; 19th Jan 2003 at 20:08.