PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR22 Chute Pull - (Post landing Video) Birmingham Alabama 6th Oct 2012
Old 14th Oct 2012, 09:49
maxred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As stated I would not be comfortable flying cross country at night in a single piston.
Many times in the past I have flown singles in 30 to 50 kt winds.
PACE - I stated earlier that your posts confuse me. You asked me to elaborate. I could have lifted many posts from the Irish Sea crossing thread, regarding you not wanting to fly single engine pistons. Ever!!!!

You are now stating that Cirrus have a wishy washy approach to chute installation, and no SOP to deal with the situation.

You now state that your view is that the chute/safety devices will lure pilots into a false sense of security heaven. This differs from some of your original comments.

I have not flown a Cirrus, therefore am unqualified to comment type specific. I have however, flown many fast complex twins and singles. Over sea, over mountains, over flat land. If I had a chute, a new glass cockpit, linked to autopilot, with all the latest technology, I would go and get trained fully on the systems and their use. You would also, as would the majority. However, many would not, many would think, this lot (new gizmos) will get me out of anything. The accident stats look to confirm this. This is the basis of the discussion. The American Bonanza Society recognised this with the Baron and Bonanza models, and set up the BPPP. This is a training proficiency programme, which if completed can give insurance discounts, and all in all should make for a better flying experience, with more experienced and knowledgeable pilots on type.

Perhaps Cirrus, in line with Cirrus owners should consider this. They may already have such a programme. The stats however are worrisome on Cirrus incidents, linked to IFR flight, and this can only be attributed to a training deficiency, either instruments, false sense of security, lack of systems knowledge, but it is a fundamental lack of training on type.