PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forstaff Avalon
Thread: Forstaff Avalon
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2012, 09:48
ALAEA Fed Sec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simple question (and probable answer): What was the cost differential?
Good question Romulus. The answer may surprise you. The 747 reconfig contract was put out to tender first. The bidding was between Avalon and Haeko. At formal meetings we were advised by management that the Avalon bid was $200m, Haeko $195m, so bugger all difference in price. Quality would be far superior at Avalon. I say this because in the past Haeko have sent Qantas aircraft back to Avalon with defects that they were incapable of fixing.

We were never told about the price difference for the 380. I suspect this is because the price was so close that they couldn't not put the work at Avalon. These reconfigs did not need a hangar but to put the lies into perspective, they continually fabricate figures regarding the cost to carry out 380 maintenance. eg, they said a hangar would be at least $120m. I got a quote for the same hangar, $16m or 30 fully tooled and ready to use.

Qantas lie. In case you didn't catch that - Qantas lie.

If the A380 reconfigs were being done over there in avalon it would have meant the other work going offshore.
No it wouldn't. They just laid off 100 or so people at Avalon. This occured around the same time that the 380 work started in Manilla. It was a perfect fit to do in Australia.

I think all the UNION should get together and lobby the government and force Qantas to do heavy maintenance jobs here instead off shoring.Act now before it is too late.
Firstly, some unions are better connected to Government than we are, I would love thir support to lobby the Government. I haven't got their support. Our union has been in the office of every relevent MP in Cbr to lobby for just this. I have taken them the hangar quotes and told them the whole story. They couldn't give a stuff. They all tell me that they don't believe Qantas management, none of them have the balls to do anything about it.

It makes me sick to see turncoats like Combet and Shorten do anything Qantas want them to do. I will be voicing my outrage at this p!ss poor outfit come next election time. Thinking of moving to SA so I can vote for Nick Z.