PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recording of Flight Simulator TIme
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2012, 09:14
212man

Received 363 Likes on 204 Posts
Geoff, we may be talking semantics - or even at cross purposes - but I still don't believe that the notion that FFS time can be logged towards total flight time can be dismissed so readily.

For example, the integrated ATPL(H) with IR course requires 195 hours total, of that 65 hours can be in an FFS. There is no distinction as to whether that can be solo or dual, so by inference some of the solo requirements could be logged in the FFS.

The LST to upgrade an ATPL from a CPL can - and should, in my opinion - be done in an FFS.

If you are referring to EASA AMC FCL which it looks like you are then simply look at the example log entries on pages 23 and 25 with a combination of different flight types, one of which is a sim entry - the sim entry clearly has no 'Flight Time', 'PIC', 'Operational condition time', or 'Pilot function time.' It has 'sim session time' and that is all - clearly separated from flight time.
Looking back at my quotation from the AMC, it is clear that they expect you to record what your function was

(ii) FSTD instruction;
(iii) date;
(iv) total time of session;
(v) accumulated total time.
(4) details on pilot function, namely PIC, including solo, SPIC and PICUS time, co-pilot, dual, FI or FE;
(5) Operational conditions, namely if the operation takes place at night, or is conducted under instrument flight rules.
However, they do seem to contradict themselves in the sample log book pages, where they show a B747 LPC in an FFS, but then fail to records the operating capacity or flight rules

I think that there is an undertone in some of these posts that somehow there could be a loop hole that would allow pilots to rack up hours falsely towards promotion or qualifications. The reality is that for an average line pilot, his simulator time probably represents about 1-2% of his annual total hours. That's a figure that's probably less than the variation between the EASA and UK flight time definitions quoted above!

Additionally, a typical large level D simulator costs in the region of 1500-2200 USD per hour to rent - so there's no possibility of wannabees trying to boost their hours in one.

Without doubt, 20 hours of LOFT exercises in marginal wx conditions and annoying changes to the schedule and irritating minor defects is far more valuable than sitting in the cruise at FL80 on autopilot eating your Ninian breakfast and reading the paper! So I would have no problem including that time when it came to determining whether a co-pilot met the hours for his command upgrade Equally, if someone was 20 hours short of a requirement, I'd rather see him get those hours in an FFS than flog around Florida in a Schweizer or C152, or spend another week driving up and down radials for the umpteenth time.

For the record, I log the time in the separate simulator section in an RAF logbook and don't really have a conscious view on whether it's part of my total time. I think once into 5 figures one doesn't really care!

Last edited by 212man; 14th Oct 2012 at 09:17.