PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 14th Oct 2012, 00:57
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Dakacrat ATFQ?

Although not technically accepted as a QON at the last Senate Estimates (sort of a sneaky 'crat' way of ducking the question)...
Senator FAWCETT: Would it be appropriate to have—a sunset clause is not quite the right phrase—a due date that if an action is recommended and accepted by a regulatory body, in this case CASA, the coroner should actually be putting a date on that and CASA must implement by a certain date or report back, whether it is to the minister or to the court or to the coroner, why that action has not actually occurred?

Mr Dolan: I think I will limit myself to comment that that is the way we try to do it. We have a requirement that in 90 days, if we have made a recommendation, there is a response to it. We will track a recommendation until we are satisfied it is complete or until we have concluded that there is no likelihood that the action is going to be taken.

Senator FAWCETT: Mr Mrdak, as secretary of the relevant department, how would you propose to engage with the coroners to make sure that we, as a nation, close this loophole to make our air environment safer?

Mr Mrdak: I think Mr Dolan has indicated the relationship with coroners is on a much better footing than it has been ever before. I think the work of the ATSB has led that. I think it then becomes a matter of addressing the relationship between the safety regulators and security regulators, as necessary, with the coroners. It is probably one I would take on notice and give a bit of thought to, if you do not mind.

Senator FAWCETT: You do not accept that your department and you, as secretary, have a duty of care and an oversight to make sure that two agencies who work for you do actually complement their activities for the outcome that benefits the aviation community?

Mr Mrdak: We certainly do ensure that agencies are working together. That is certainly occurring. You have asked me the more detailed question about coroners and relationships with the agencies. I will have a bit of a think about that, if that is okay.

Senator FAWCETT: Thank you.
....you would think it perhaps prudent to attempt to answer the question.

Given it is 5 months hence and the seriousness of the topic Mr Mrdak could at least enlighten the Senator, the victims families, industry stakeholders and taxpayers generally what his cogitations, deliberations, permutations are.

With unlimited tax payer funded resources, expertise etc all at his fingertips surely Mr Mrdak it isn't too much to ask for an answer to the bloody question?

Hmm maybe he will surprise us all and table an answer document this Tuesday...but I wouldn't want to bet my left on it!