PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stupid stunt?
Thread: Stupid stunt?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2003, 18:04
BLK 33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I understand the incident, it was reported by some spotters who happened to video the intrusion that 2 guys climbed over a gate (which had razor wire atop ) - one of them hared straight at the 744 (witnessed by Gonzo et al) where he evidently tried to climb into the port wheelwell and the other went off in a westerly direction. Whether he knew it was US bound or not I don't know.

The first one, presumably, gave up trying to climb in the'plane and just sat on one of the tyres were he was collected by the Airfield Ops guys, then handed over to the boys in blue. He was reportedly wearing a backpack , spoke little English but did admit to being Slovakian.

The, by now, shut down 'plane was towed to stand W3 where the flight was cancelled and everyone hotelled. The Police then thoroughly searched the aircraft. Nothing/nobody was found.

The biggest worry was what had happened to the other one - was he still lurking near the runway, had he gone and hidden in an aircraft parked in T4. The whole area was checked, even with sniffer dogs, as were all the parked aircraft. He was never found. Had he gone out, unseen, on a preceding aircraft?

A quite odd and worrying incident.

SLF - what you've probably seen is where there is an extra rolled up length of razor wire on the top of the fence where there is an adjacent aid to climbing over such as a lamp post or road sign. The fence, I assure, you has 3 continuous horizontal lines of razor wire all around. I've been trying to escape for years.

SOPS - how do you suggest an airfield of any great size be made impregnable - to a quick strike such as this? Where there's a will there's usually a way but only so much can be done to negate the threat. These guys must have been really desperate to put themselves at such risk to get out of the UK.