PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - For Nick Lappos, Rich Lee and/or Shaun Coyle re B412 speed limitations
Old 13th Oct 2012, 17:09
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Life below 30 knots

I must have made a mistake ! I spent my pluky youth in a single engine helicopter chasing submarines in the dark, sometimes in the fog and even in the fog in the dark. This 'sport' required the routine flogging around at 150 feet and every time the bloke in the back fancied I would have to plop it on down the hill into the hover and sit their while he and his oppo played with their toys.

I had no idea what a ridiculous pastime this was until I had a long conversation with the TRI during my S61 TR some six years later. The conversation was about Cat A operations and the notion that anyone who wants to fly around on one engine at night must be bonkers as by that time the Campaign Against Aviation had declared it to be so... and banned it.

Low speed ops with good reliable autopilots have been around since 1966 and they were NOT invented by the FRENCH.

You see, what you are used to can become the 'norm' and low speed ops have never been a problem as I cut my teeth on them. It took commercial aviation to put me right.... right... RIGHT!

G.

Last edited by Geoffersincornwall; 13th Oct 2012 at 17:11.