PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cargolux details requested!
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2012, 16:39
alby2000

Cargolux Italia

South Prince,
My understanding of this whole matter is that Cargolux mainline is on a cost cutting drive that involves all phases of the production line and all sides of the value chain.
The rumor I've heard from my friends in Cargolux Italia is that actually this whole situation in Luxembourg may turn out to be beneficial to them. They are at a "make it or break it" moment and it's either they grow into something bigger than one airplane operating charter flights on behalf of their Luxembourgish mother or in my opinion it would be hard to maintain a financially viable and profitable operation over time, especially taking into account the present low yields across the aircargo industry and a general contraction in the airfreight market.
By reading the articles on the subject available on the internet, it is pretty clear the new CEO wants to bring costs down while increasing the productivity in a (possibly) non-unionized environment. Cargolux Italia is already meeting all these requirements so it might actually be that all the "job outsourcing/expenses containment" idea may not include Qatar or involve Qatar Airways at all, but instead may be related to a transfer of airplanes and manpower to their Italian low cost subsidiary.
My two cents on the topic.
Ciao, alby