PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Airways B777 recruitment?
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2012, 12:50
Geebz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a company, do you expect them to pat your bottom for all your services? You fly they pay, you go on to the next contract when this one doesn't suit you any more. If you expect anything more from large corporations, especially as a temporary contract worker your dillusional. Quit acting like Jet owes you some sort of entitlement for flying for them.
If you don't like it move on! Quit b3()$$&& about how bad it is at a company you no longer work for and if you still work there leave, it's not good for your health to be this obsessed with the good old days..
Jet is great for some, horrible for others. Everybody is different, let them decide for themselves how to live life's you know nothing about.
drive73 is right. I've done a couple of contracts with Jet. The first time they treated me well. The second time not so much. But, hey, that's just business. I told them I wouldn't put up with it for too much longer and I didn't. I left. I don't think they were all that offended or upset and neither was I when they changed the TCs (the reason for my leaving). I knew the business climate had changed and I knew expat pilots would never band together and take the company on collectively. They broke the T&Cs without negotiation, and I no longer cared about outperforming for them, so they got what they paid for... more or less. It's a two-way street and they knew it as well as I.

The contract world has to be measured for what it is, temporary worker status. The problem is as pilots sometimes we get sick of moving from job to job so guys want to settle in. One should never get too comfortable in any temp worker situation. I've always only done contracts when leaves are offered from my airline. That way I'm still accruing seniority somewhere while I taste another part of the aviation world. But that's just my circumstance. I realize everyone is in a different boat. If you don't like the contract world then find 2 or 3 of your career airlines of choice and get a seniority number there. But be prepared for the long crawl up the seniority chain. Worth it in the end but can take decades to see the fruits of your labor. Otherwise, expect to be expendable, that, by definition, is what contract workers are.

And remember, no local wants to see a contract worker holding up their movement. So don't expect to be on their best-friends list while you're working in their country at their airline. Just the way it is.

I always leave a contract gig early (following proper notice period decorum as per the T&Cs). Never wait for them to show you the door. Try to leave while the going is good, leaving while out on top as it were. It just feels better that way, like you're in control. Which you are if you leave on your terms and not theirs. Plus, it reminds airline managements around the world that this pilot-company thing is a two-way street. Treat a pilot poorly by not doing what you said you were going to do, and find yourself on the losing end of that relationship.

There's a reason why Korean, SkyMark, Air India are desperate for commanders right now. It has nothing to do with growth, rather it has every thing to do with how the pilots who left were treated. There is a reason for all that turnover at these carriers. Why do you think they have to sweeten the pot, or lower the bar to entry, with respect to their latest T&Cs?

Last edited by Geebz; 13th Oct 2012 at 12:56.