PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a professional pilot, and finding a job
Old 19th Jan 2003, 16:51
Jimbob123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fixed Wing or Rotary

I am considering the self sponsored route for a CPL/IR and have previously been set on fixed wing flyinging, which I have looked in to quite a lot over the years. However, I have recently been giving thought to a CPL on helicopters and don't know quite as much about this. I am still undecided whether to go the fixed wing or rotary wing career route. Can anyone therefore help answer some of my questions regarding a CPL(H) and careers as a heli pilot.

1. What career opportunities are there for helicopter pilots with the relevant CPL(H) and how do they fair with career opportunities for those with a fixed wing licence?

2. What types of salaries can a helicopter pilot command and thus manage to pay off the loans for training?

3. I am currently thinking of Cabair or OAT as a training school. Are there any others I could be looking at?

4. Does anyone have any particular views or experiences as to the pros and cons of pursuing the rotary wing career route?

5. What can one hope to achieve with a CPL(H)?

Most people I read about or talk to seem fixated on becoming an airline pilot. Granted this would be nice and I wish the very best of luck to those of you who are resolute in achieving this. However, I would be happy with any type of flying as a career and would therefore value any comments any of you have in helping me decide on my career path.

Many thanks.