PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR22 Chute Pull - (Post landing Video) Birmingham Alabama 6th Oct 2012
Old 13th Oct 2012, 12:31
Rory Dixon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GEP, 007 and Fuji have answered, I don't need to repeat that.
I think that the Cirrus is a great aeroplane, but cant help but wonder if some have now gained confidence into entering flight conditions that they would not have entered had the CAPS system not been in place.
007 has also replied to that. It is a fact that the rate of fatal accidents in Cirrus isn't much different than in other high performance airplanes. So obviously not. Or do you have any other proof of your guess?

What the Cirrus has NOT delivered (on first sight) is to be more safe than other planes, despite the safety features it has. Well, this is something interesting, but doesn't wonder. People like you and many others, including the normal CFIs, believe a Cirrus should be handled like any other plane. Don't use the safety features, only if its to late, that is the mantra. I would expect no change in the safety of an airplane with this approach.

The interesting thing is, there is evidence clearly showing that a different approach to flying this airplane makes it safer. This approach is the one 007 has extensively elucidated on. The group of pilots accepting this approach has a rate of fatel accidents which is much lower (I think it was in the range of factor 3, if I recall right) than of the Cirrus pilots flying the old way.

So new technology sometime necessitates new thinking.