PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR22 Chute Pull - (Post landing Video) Birmingham Alabama 6th Oct 2012
Old 13th Oct 2012, 10:01
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
who fly week in week out and maybe do 100's of approaches each year it is easier for you to stay current and gain a big bag of experience and better skills.
Thats fair enough comment usually I am about 20-25 a week. Actually handling half that although recently I have had a big lump of training to do so the baby FO's get more than half the approaches. Which is more work than if I just flew them myself.

And currently sitting at just over 600 approaches with 3 months to run to the end of my FTL year. Out of that quarter of them will be visual approaches though. And down to mins and rvr limits maybe 50 a year.

BTW the biggest problem with inexperenced instrument pilots is that they fly the plane way to much. Set the machine up and let it do the flying. Don't annoy it with huge control inputs and multiple power changes.

A debrief line which has been used to me in the past and I will admit I have used as well.

"well we arrived despite your best efforts to prevent us"

And I am far from perfect thursday day 6 sector 8 of a 13 hour duty day starting at 5am with a split, pitch black and snowing with hills all about I boxed that NPA loc approach to the limits, my airspeed was up and down like fiddlers elbow and then procceded to rape the runway.

The FO just said on the taxi back in with me cursing under my breath at my self.

"what you needed to do with that one was set your power and attitude and use smaller control inputs"

"so why didn't you take it off me then?"

"sod that, it was horrible" was the reply.

Just had to agree and laugh and go and do the walk of shame and apologise to the pax.

Human performance factors also make a huge difference to your performance on the day. Day one of a roster even with the split duty and I would have looked as if I knew what I was doing instead of the utter garbage that I did.

(Just to note we can work a max of 7 days then 3 days off but more normally it max 6 days then 2 days off so if you see folk post day x its the number of days they are into a block of flying after a day off)