PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR22 Chute Pull - (Post landing Video) Birmingham Alabama 6th Oct 2012
Old 13th Oct 2012, 06:38
007helicopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
007 - Sadly I think there are hints within your posts of a lack of understanding of the issues with respect to the Cirrus. Without doubt its a great aeroplane, its fast, flies great and certainly does the job incredibly well. However it does require a different approach to its operation than say a typical Arrow or Rockwell Commander. This is due to its slippery nature, the control feedback and its integrated systems.
GEP, what I took exception to was your inaccurate copy and paste of a statement that suggested the Cirrus was virtually impossible to recover from a spin, this I think was misleading and inaccurate and may have shown a certain lack of understanding on your own side.

I am not knowledgeable or experienced on spinning and should I or anyone else find themselves in a spin in a Cirrus then their piloting skills have already failed them and they are likely to be incompetent to recover, in this case I would recommend the chute as the best option.

Regarding my lack of understanding of issues with the Cirrus you are entitled to be sad about that, I am just a average PPL and Cirrus owner who takes a reasonable interest and care in trying to understand why people kill themselves in this and other aircraft and find strategies that work for me that reduce this risk.

With respect to the spin, its a recognised problem that if you slow down, turn sharply and push the Cirrus it will bite you, people have died because of exactly that. It's an aircraft that inspires confidence due to having the BRS fitted, however does it inspire too much confidence that it will get you out of every adverse situation?
Yes I could not agree more, as it will in many other aircraft types, the higher the performance generally the less forgiving to incorrect Pilot inputs. This in my observations is a factor in some Cirrus fatal's, typically in base to final turn at around 1000ft agl, the pilot has the wrong speeds, wrong inputs, stalls, spins and dies, the chute in this approach phase of flight is worthless.