PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps (AIRTC)/ AAFC Alumni
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2012, 06:09
Bonniciwah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going for my flying lesson at Pt Cook a couple of weeks ago I saw the cadets had their annual drill competition, which brought back heaps of memories to when we, No.11 Flight VicAIRTC Footscray won it in the mid-1980s. We square bashed for months before it, and were drill machines by the end of it.

I hated the bivouacs, though because I was small I was able to sneak heaps of contraband in my baggy khakis which made survival easier.

I loved the GSTs at East Sale. I got to spend a week doing work experience on the Central Flying School flight line when it still had Macchis. We'd sit around looking at Penthouse magazines (imagine the uproar if they let 15yos do that now) waiting for someone to yell out "Macchi down", and then go out and get the plane ready for its next flight. We never managed a flight in the Macchi or CT4, like one senior officer's son, but we did score one in a HS-748.

We also got to fly in the AIRTC's own C172 known as the Yellow Peril and flown by this short AIRTC officer who the RAAF guys called 'The Penguin'.

GST's also included kitchen duty, where your efforts were rewarded with trays of the best jelly you ever tasted. Oh and we also learned to go to sick parade on the first day because the RAAF doctors would kindly give us a week long exemption from marching.

I also did a weapons training course at Laverton which all kids should do. Really taught me about gun/rifle safety - and I got to shoot an SLR.

Had great times though there was quite a bit of nepotism centred around our CO's son and his friends when it came to promotions and flying opportunities, so a few of us followed our 2IC to a new flight - 5 Flight at the old Tottenham RAAF depot, where I got to be a squad leader. I lost interest once I discovered beer and girls.

I never joined the RAAF and am only now just learning to fly. But one of the skills I did take away was being able to get up and instruct a class.

And I still remember my serial number off the top of my head - 119050. I think I have my PT246 somewhere too.

So I was glad to see it still going strong last week. Thanks for head up Keg.

Last edited by Bonniciwah; 13th Oct 2012 at 06:12.