PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recording of Flight Simulator TIme
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2012, 05:14
Um... lifting...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, but what of those fellows who do an entire TR course on a FFS accumulating X hours, then are sent to the aircraft for a walkaround and a bit of handling for a further Y, then are released to the line with X+Y amount of time in type (as mandated by a client), almost all of which is in the sim? (And Geoffers, your place of synthetic employ most certainly does this) Did our intrepid airperson fly X+Y for the client, operator's, OEM's, training facility's and regulator's purposes or not? Doing it in this fashion becomes more likely with the increasing sophistication / weight / cost of the aircraft in question.

How time is recorded varies so widely worldwide that it almost might as well not be defined at all. I imagine that JAA wouldn't accept my logbook (for one thing, I didn't buy it from them, and they get a bit shirty about that sort of thing), though I can prove every entry in it, every hour of IMC, etc, though it would doubtless take weeks to do.
My logbook has a column for 'ground trainer' among other things, and all sim time goes in there. On the same line, if the sim session is an instrument one, the bulk of that time is also logged as 'simulated instrument'.
In olden times, separate pages in my mil logbook were saved for the sim.
To re-write an accurate logbook from one authority because a second authority doesn't like the format or what-have-you is ridiculous, and invites forgery, fat pencils, and other such abuses. Ultimately a pointless exercise.
Correcting substantive errata is something else entirely.

Certain armed services define any flying without reference to a visible horizon as IMC. Other folks use 'solely with reference to the flight instruments'. I could think of others if I had more coffee and time, but I'm off to log some VMC.