PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR22 Chute Pull - (Post landing Video) Birmingham Alabama 6th Oct 2012
Old 13th Oct 2012, 02:14
Big Pistons Forever

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts
My 2 cents

-I have little respect for those who imply that "real" pilots don't pull the chute and instead should do some hero piloting shy*te to safely land the plane. I find it troubling that these people seem to think that death for not only the pilot, but also his/her unfortunate passengers, is an acceptable result for a pilot making a some bad decisions and/or demonstrating a skill deficit. There absolutely have been some instances where the chute saved the pilot from themselves, but the bottom line is in virtually every case the pilot and the passengers walked away. GA has enough fatal accidents already and the Cirrus parachute system has demonstrably and conclusively saved lives.

-The problem with the Cirrus is that after people spend a half a million plus dollars on their airplane they want to use it to get from A to B all the time, not just the good weather days. While Cirrus and COPA have worked hard to improve the training of Cirrus pilots the fact remains the PPL course and the FAA PPL IR doesn't do a very good job of preparing one for real world A to B flying in a technologically complex aircraft. Effectively using the fitted advanced Avionics in this aircraft also requires strong system knowledge and a very disciplined SOP driven methodology. Flight training in general is still stuck in the 1950's and needs to get with the program.